Thursday 28 July 2011

Frank to Black: A Fond Farewell to Amy Winehouse By Richard Bamford

A fond look back at my chats with Amy Winehouse back in the summer of 2006.




On the 23rd July 2011 came the news that Amy Winehouse had passed away, in what police described as an 'unexplained death'.

The news made me morosely sad; as did her recent, much televised start of her European tour.

It's all too easily forgotten just how talented she was. She not only paved the way for the Adele's and Duffy's of the world but laid the tarmac and steam-rollered her way onto the scene with Frank back in 2003.

Though she was immensely talented and left us way too early, her passing, I think, was sadly inevitable. The Amy I met was sweet, fragile and slightly insecure – not the hard-faced, drug whore the majority of the ignorant naysayers would have you believe. People who are quick to condemn, generally have little knowledge of mental illness and certainly no concept of the decease that is addiction.

On the second time we met, Summer 2006, in a pub in Camden, of course, I decided to bestow her with gifts: Count Basie & Frank Sinatra live and a Special's Live at the BBC album; both of which she didn't have, but was very grateful for. She promised me, as a thank-you, to give me a pash then not beat me too embarrassingly at pool. While she did stain my cheek with her lippy, she also annihilated me at pool.

After my pool thrashing, she invited me to attend a secret gig at Proud in Camden the following Friday, for friends and family only.

This was one of my most memorable gigs. Firstly 'cos as I arrived with a friend, Amy recognized me and flung her arms around me. Secondly 'cos the gig was part acapella and the rest her singing and playing the guitar, to a very small crowd. She laughed and joked and gave a spellbinding performance. I was in awe!

It's always sad when someone looses their life to mental illness or addiction, but, I did feel an attachment to Amy, but I think that was just how the real Amy was; warm, friendly, naive and naughty. Rest In Peace, Lioness.

Read the full story at http://www.blacksheepmag.com/features/interviews/item/2732-all-about-amy :

All About Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment